The Faculty of Information Sciences of the Complutense University of Madrid (UCM) is the pioneer and benchmark in university education in communication in Spain since 1971. It is located at the Moncloa Campus and offers degrees in Journalism, Audiovisual Communication and Advertising and Public Relations.
Until 1971, communication training in its different specialties was distributed among different institutions: Escuela Oficial de Periodismo, Instituto de Investigaciones y Experiencias Cinematográficas, the Instituto de Periodismo del Estudio General de Navarra, the Escuela de Periodismo de la Iglesia, the Instituto Nacional de Publicidad (1964) and the Escuela Oficial de Radio y Televisión.
In September 1971, a law was published regulating the studies and approving the creation of the school.
The first promotion of the 3 degrees began its classes on February 2, 1972 in provisional facilities at the headquarters of the Official Schools of Cinematography and Television (today RTVE Institute). In 1974, all activity was moved to our current headquarters on Avenida Complutense. This academic year the School celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Although there are many other schools in Spain, today we continue to be the school of choice for many students, being the center with the largest number of students at the Complutense University and, therefore, the largest of all those who teach these subjects in the country.
Throughout our history, many of the great professionals of the Spanish communication industry, cultural industries and renowned personalities of public life have passed through its classrooms:
- Presidents, Founders, Directors of Communication Companies: José Antonio Llorente (LLYC), Mónica Moro (McCann), Fernando Rodríguez Varona (Publicis Media España).
- Journalists: H.M. Queen Doña Letizia, Carlos Alsina (Onda Cero Radio), Almudena Ariza, Angeles Blanco (Informativos Telecinco), Sara Carbonero (Radio Marca), Pepa Bueno (Cadena Ser), Antonio García Ferreras (La Sexta TV), Arturo Pérez Reverte.
- Film Directors and Screenwriters: Alejandro Amenábar (Thesis, The sea inside, The Others), Javier Ambrossi (Veneno, Holy Camp!), Fernando León de Aranoa (Escobar, Mondays in the sun), Daniel Monzón (Cell 211), Fernando Trueba (Belle Epoque, Chico & Rita, Calle 54), Mateo Gil (Thesis, The sea inside, Agora).
- Actors, actresses, models and other personalities: Cayetana Guillén´(Actress – The grandfather), Alberto San Juan (Actor – Airbag), Inés Sastre (Actress – El Dorado, Lancôme’s spokesmodel for its perfume, Trésor), Antonio de la Torre (The endeless trench, Marshland, The last circus).
- Polititians: Isabel Díaz Ayuso (President of the Autonomous Community of Madrid).
Known and unknown, the students of the Faculty have left their mark. Some have done it inside its walls through graffiti and others by making films and short films.